Archive for October, 2011
A load of people are camping out in London this week to protest against greedy people. Interesting time of year to be camping out, but good on them. The protest is inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement, where a popular slogan is ‘We are the 99%‘. The primary complaint being the massive income differential between the wealthiest 1% of the American population compared to the rest, the 99%.
A ‘counter’ campaign was launched called ‘We are the 53%‘. The attack is primarily against the feckless and lazy 99% for not being able to solve their own problems. The honourable 53% not only pay their own way but also pay taxes to support for the parasitic 99%.
It is an interesting campaign as it serves to detract from the complaints about the 1% by the 99% as the 53% attack the 99%. But aren’t the 53% people missing the point here: 52% of the 53% are the 99%. A skilful exploitation of the art of subterfuge; we’ve forgotten all about the 1%.
So, especially for our American friends: “I am the 99%” and also “I am the 53%”, but “I am NOT the 1%”. Clear? Excellent!